Tuesday, February 15, 2011

TB

TB might be a term for Tuberculosis, but in Nigeria...


It's a term gay men describe each other, Top/Bottom.


If you are gay, you're a TB.


I was discussing this with my friend in Nigeria, telling him, "You know, TB in English means Tuberculosis, it's a bacterial infection in the lungs; a medical term."


He said, "Oh."


I told him that I'd rather call it men loving men, because that's really what it is.  It's beyond the bedroom, it's beyond what position you prefer yourself in (it wouldn't do versatiles any justice either).  You may be top, or bottom, or femme, or whatever, you're still a man and it's nothing to be ashamed of or set aside.


But hey, if it's a cool localized term and it's meant to make us feel welcomed.  Go ahead, call me a TB.  But you'll be surprised that I'll do more than that inside and outside of the bedroom.

1 comment: